Matcha Green Tea – What Exactly Is It?
Green Tea is one of the most sought out drinks today in most countries in the world. This can be attributed to the numerous benefits derived from drinking it. One type of green tea that has slowly attained limelight is the Matcha Green Tea.
Matcha green tea leaf is found predominantly in Japan. It can also be grown in a few other countries as well. The green tea prepared from this leaf is used during special tea ceremonies held in Japan. However, the Matcha Green Tea is now recognized worldwide to be healthy and it is packed with many essential nutrients that are of benefit to the body in different ways and at times it tops the list of the nutritional green teas reviewed around the world. But what is so unique about Matcha Green Tea?
The word Matcha simply refers to grounded green tea leaves. This variety of green tea is special because the method used in extracting the powdery green tea is different from that used to extract others. Prior to harvesting the green tea leaf, a covering is prepared for the tea leaf in order to block any sunlight from reaching the tea leat. This covering increases the level of chlorophyll and as such, the tea leaf achieves a darker greenish color due to the accumulation of Chlorophyll. They are then harvested and hand grounded into powder referred to as – Matcha.
What Are The Possible Benefits of Taking Matcha Green Tea?
Since the constituents of Matcha Green Tea are mainly nature-derived, it can be expected that the benefits gotten with use of the Matcha Green Tea are completely healthy and nourishing and that is exactly what is experienced. Here are a few benefits that come with taking this richly prepared, hand grounded tea.
- It prevents tissue damage or destruction. This is possible because of a lot of active antioxidants it contains which helps to reduce the oxidative action of free radicals.
- It reduces the chance of getting a Cardiovascular disease and increases the body’s mechanism of fighting diseases.
- It increases the rate at which weight is lost because of the faster rate of metabolic activities that takes place to burn calories.
- It helps in relaxing both body and mind. This is possible because of the presence of L- theanine in a substantial amount.
- it is also capable of enhancing concentration, can improve memory and brain function and mood.
What Side Effects Do Occur With Use of This Tea
Though healthy and packed with essential healthy nutrients, taking too much of the Matcha Tea may not be too healthy. Why is that so?
It contains a large amount of caffeine and when this is consumed in large quantity may make the person taking it to feel uncomfortable. This may result in any of the following:
- Increase in Heart rate beyond the normal.
- Anxieties and Panic Attacks
- Decreases level of sleep etc.
Apart from the high caffeine level, some of the natural ingredients may interfere with other drugs taken alongside the Matcha Green Tea. Some consumers may also be allergic to certain ingredients as such, it is pertinent to consult a qualified physician to ascertain if the Matcha Green Tea is the best choice for you.